Monday, February 18, 2013

Strawberry Lemon Curd

Strawberry Lemon Curd
Excuse the horrible picture, it's taken from my phone. Will try and update post later.

I feel like a broken record, each time I begin writing a post for this blog, the same words come to me 'sorry for being away for so long'! I don't know what it is or what to do, but somehow I just can't seem to find time to even bake, let alone blog. Must. Repair. Now. Hopefully you'll see a change soon.

Even when I do decide to make something, it doesn't go too well. It was time for this month's Secret Recipe Club post, and my assigned blog was A Teaspoon of Spice. This blog actually challenged me, since it's run by two dieticians! And everything I put on this blog is usually an indulgence, a dessert for when a person's down in the dumps, or just generally having a craving.

Strawberry Lemon Curd

It's strawberry season here in India, and I was looking for something to make with them. I've been meaning to bake these cupcakes, or a strawberry pie since forever, but as you can guess, never got around to doing it. I found the perfect recipe, that I knew would work for the new lack of time Avanika. It was shamefully easy, but I think the kitchen was annoyed at being ignored, I had quite a mishap with the blender, I ended up covered in burning hot strawberry sauce. Buttttt... You guys ought to be proud, instead of giving up, I sat down to chop all 3 cups of strawberries again and re-made the sauce. I'm hoping this means the laziness has finally gone away.

This sauce isn't as thick as a lemon curd, but is the perfect breakfast accompaniment, along with some toast, or drizzled over some sponge cake and cream. The lemon balances out the sweetness of the strawberries, and there's just a hint of puckeriness. But probably the sense that is tingled the most on eating a spoonful of this is the smell. It is just divine, it makes you want to jump into a pool of the curd and never come out!

Strawberry Lemon Curd
Adapted from Teaspoon of Spice
Yield : About 2.5 cups

3 cups [250 g] fresh chopped strawberries
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp [110 g] sugar - adjust depending on sweetness of strawberries
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter

Instructions - 
  1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the chopped strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 7-8 minutes.
  2. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes [Important, in case you have a similar mishap]. Blend until smooth.
  3. Pour back into saucepan. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and the egg yolks. Pour into the strawberry mixture, and cook on medium-low for about 1 minute, till it thickens and a finger swiped across the spoon leaves a clear path.
  4. Add the salt and butter. Allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Enjoy :)

14 comments:

  1. We just bought strawberry lemon marmalade at a farmers' market - this sounds fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made curd for the first time recently, just Meyer lemon. But making it with strawberries sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look amazing and I love lemon curd! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I can't wait for strawberries to come into season where I live. 2 more months to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I bet it would be fantastic over a stack of pancakes :) Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super delicious! I've been wanting to make lemon curd and this looks even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh i love strawberries! and what a magnificent colour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon curd! What a unique twist to it. ;)

    Fellow group C SRC member,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm addicted to all kinds of curds! I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made a curd before, but this looks like it would be easy to make, not to mention delicious! I'm new to the group C, so I hope you stop by and visit my site too! http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2013/02/avocado-cup-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bully for you, not giving up. I can so relate! glad you persevered! I see this on a nice waffle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited to "meet" who got paired with our blog! I hope you found that even though we are 2 dietitians, we have plenty of indulgent, delicious recipes as we like to call ourselves the dietitians who love food as much as you do :) Love the strawberry twist on the curd - way to persevere!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails