Friday, May 14, 2010

Easy Waffles for a Perfect Breakfast

 Waffles from Dorie Greenspan's book


Growing up, I'd always heard Mom talk about the delicious, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside treats called waffles, that she loved while she was in Belguim. And it had always been one of things I'd wanted to try, but never could, they weren't available here in India. Many years later, we found waffles at a quaint little shop in Mahabaleshwar, a tourist destination, and a lovely place. I still remember the happiness I felt, even though they weren't really all that. In the past few years, waffles have become a regular snack, available almost everywhere. But I still, always, wanted to make them at home, to enjoy them as soon as I wake up, without having to take a bath, get ready, and go out for them.


I recently won a copy of Waffles from Morning to Midnight by Dorie Greenspan, from a wonderful blogger, Kate, who seems to have stopped blogging since a while. And that's where I had my chance. I bought a waffle iron, even though it isn't really a quality purchase, it was the only option I had, plus, it was cheap. And I've been on the waffle route ever since. It took me a few tries, but I've finally got the hang of it. And I made these perfectly crunchy, soft, sweet but just so waffles. I love eating these, first thing in the morning. Yes, I'm on vacation, so I have a lot of free time in the mornings :). I've tried all kinds of toppings on it, here's a list of some you could try -


  1. Jams and jellies - Fruit jams, especially apricot go well.
  2. Syrups - Honey, maple syrup, pancake syrup, or anything you want, really.
  3. Nutella!! [my favorite]
  4. Plain ol' butter
  5. Bacon :D
  6. Fruits - simply cut up, such as mixed berries, mangoes, or cooked with a flavoring to soften, such as apple with cinnamon.
  7. Ice cream, or whipped cream. Yum!
This is just a basic list, you could list your favorite toppings in the comments, so that I can make a more comprehensive list!


On to the recipe -


Classic Waffles
Adapted from Waffles from Morning to Midnight
Makes about four 6 1/2 inch round waffles -I got 5


2 tbsp butter
1 cup [120 g] flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt - Omit if using salted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup [240 g] milk
1 large egg


Instructions -
  1. Preheat you waffle iron. If you want to hold the finished waffles until serving time, preheat your oven to 200 F [90 C].
  2. Melt the butter in a small bowl. Allow to come to room temperature. In a small bowl, mix together the milk and the egg. Keep aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, stir until incorporate. Mix in the melted butter.
  4. Lightly spray or butter your iron, if required. Pour out about 1/2 cup batter, or as specified in your iron's instructions, and cook until steam is no longer released from the iron, and the waffle is brown and crisp.
  5. Serve immediately, on keep them on a rack in the heated oven in a single layer to hold them for a while.

17 comments:

  1. This is amazing keep it going...drooling ...Will try it...Yummmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Am going to give it a go! I always find when I sprinkle things with icing sugar and inhale as I'm about to bite I end up choking. Sad but true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had Waffles but the way you talk about those and the yummy toppings you've mentioned is making me drool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have never heard of that book! Enjoying homemade waffles for breakfast sounds like a perfect way to spend a vacation. :) Bananas and honey have always been one of my favourite toppings...and Nutella too. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these spectacular looking waffles. I've only had them abroad. Where did u manage to pick the waffle pan from? I would love to own one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love waffles, especially with maple syrup..totally addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those waffles look great. We love waffles here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for such an easy waffles recipe! Great for weekend breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love waffles but i've never made them from scratch...only from a mix. yours look so good, i'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi

    Unfortunately I have some sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, Rosie passed away yesterday. I have written up a tribute to her on my blog and I am asking everyone who knew her if they would please take some time to leave a comment. I will be printing off all the comments to pass onto her husband.

    Thanks
    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMmmm you can't beat waffles for a yummy indulgant breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOur waffles look delicious. Love them too but my waffle maker has conked so waffles will have to wait till I get a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful! Waffles are a big favorite at my house too! I like your suggestions for toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very true, sometimes you don't want to leave the house and get changed to enjoy breakfast food. Glad that you got your recipe in the end! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sunny - Thanks so much!!

    MsCritique - Hehehe that happens to me sometimes. I prefer confectioner's sugar. It's less powdery :P

    DK - You are missing out!!

    Valerie - It's a great book. Ahh Nutella *runs off to eat a spoonful*

    MD - I got it from Alfa, in Irla. You could try Inorbit too.

    Parita - Yup, this had become my staple breakfast for so many days.

    Katrina - Thanks. Who doesn't?

    Ellie - Glad to!

    The twins - The mix probably saves you less than 2 minutes. No reason to not make from scratch.

    Jessica - Thanks!

    Maria - Done.

    Katie - Yup, it's impossible!

    Bindiya - Thank you :)

    Aparna - Do get one soon, and try these.

    Shari - Easy, yet pretty and delicious.

    Lorraine - Yup, it takes away the lazy breakfast feeling!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts below, I'd love to hear from you :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails